WEs we like - Written by on Saturday, August 30, 2014 10:03 - 30 Comments

Peer-to-peer infrastructure and thinking applied for an entire country: Ecuador

FLOK: Free/Libre Open Knowledge
Also known as the social knowledge economy project.

Ecuador is exploring how the principle of open knowledge might reshape its economic and social development.

Michel Bauwens, founder of the P2P Foundation, was heading the research department of FLOK. His direct involvement ended June 2014.

I know Michel from the early days of our we-magazine. He contacted us after the launch of the first volume and contributed to the second one: “The Emergence of Open Design and Open Manufacturing.”

When FLOK started it was announced as the first serious attempt of an entire country to peer-to-peer structure it’s economy and society. It seemed to be backed by the government, so the translation of the theory and already existing practice into legislative (law, government structure, educational institutions ..) was planned to be part of the process! Quote Michel Bauwens: “When we started the FLOK process, it was presented to us as a project that was strategic for the Ecuadorian government, as supported by the Ministry of Knowledge and the Secretariat of Innovation and would systematically move the country to a social knowledge economy, and that would be enthusiastically received by civil organisations.”

Reality turned out to be different – the “old system” was striking back in various forms. Michel describes it here in more details

The research done and made public is very helpful for our further way walking towards – what I call – a “Greater We”. In the following 4 videos Michel explains FLOK itself, the research they’ve done and their suggestions for education, economy (micro and macro) and society. A MUST SEE (20 minutes) for all those who are looking for post-capitalism models which put the concept of the commons in the center of the activities. It’s neither communism nor socialism, yes, it’s rather left than right. It provides meaning and value for the many. It’s trying to find a better balance between the rich and the poor.

What is FLOK?

Knowledge

Michel argues for a “reciprocity based license” which basically says: “If you contribute to our commons, you can use our commons. If you don’t contribute to our commons and you make a profit from it, then you have to share the profit with us.” This avoids piracy – so Michel – escpecially it would help rural areas to be exploited by big multi national corporations.

Value Regimes

Michel says that we’ve been moving from “Cognitive Capitalism” (which he explains in the video) to what he calls “Netarchical (= hierarchy in the Net) Capitalism” in which the creators of the value do NOT benefit from the financial outcome of the value created (examples: FACEBOOK, crowd working). In this system we haven’t democratized the means of monetisation. See the following graphic.

facebook_capitalism

Michel suggests to move towards a (mature) civic peer-to-peer economy where the value returns to the value creators.

Technological Regimes

Michel is describing this 4 technological frames in which we experience today the commons – his suggestions is to move towards the GLOBAL COMMONS

global commons

30 Comments

amazon card
Sep 22, 2015 10:12

Thanks for the post and great tips. The information you have posted is very useful. Thanks for shearinng

How to make money online
Oct 30, 2015 22:48

How to make money online

– Peer-to-peer infrastructure and thinking applied for an entire country: Ecuador

happy wheels
Jan 19, 2016 3:51

Very interesting blog. Alot of blogs I see these days don’t really provide anything that I’m interested in, but I’m most definately interested in this one. Just thought that I would post and let you know.

happy wheels 2
Jan 19, 2016 3:52

I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.

geometry dash
Jan 19, 2016 3:53

Hey what a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you.

fnaf
Mar 17, 2016 8:31

let’s play fnaf games

fnaf 4
Mar 17, 2016 8:32

let’s play fnaf 4 games

happy wheels
Mar 17, 2016 8:32

let’s play happy wheels games

tetris
Mar 17, 2016 8:34

let’s play tetris games

brain games
Mar 17, 2016 8:34

let’s play brain games

puzzle games
Mar 17, 2016 8:35

let’s play puzzle games

agario
Mar 17, 2016 8:35

let’s play agario games

abcya qubed
Mar 17, 2016 8:36

let’s play abcya qubed games

minecraft games
Apr 8, 2016 11:22

I love all the posts, I really enjoyed.
I would like more information about this, because it is very nice., Thanks for sharing.

Dog Games
May 5, 2016 11:14

I love the background. to me its more interesting than the girl chillin there. she picked a great backdrop, lots of character in there.

Fighting Games
May 5, 2016 11:14

Great! Thanks for sharing the information. That is very helpful for increasing my knowledge in this field

abcya
May 17, 2016 3:23

let’s play abcya games

games for kids
May 17, 2016 3:37

let’s play games for kids

pacman
May 17, 2016 3:37

let’s play pacman games

happy wheels
May 18, 2016 9:54

click to play happy wheels

wingsio
Jun 16, 2016 4:53

if you like click to play for free wingsio

slither io
Jun 16, 2016 4:54

click to play slither io

slither io
Jun 28, 2016 10:53

I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share

run 3 game
Oct 18, 2016 8:35

Thanks for your sharing. Your article is very useful, it gives me more understanding.

Y8Y8
Nov 9, 2016 9:13

I like play games. I just want to say : Why you do not click to play.

Black Friday Sale
Nov 21, 2016 5:53

I have read your post.I wanna inform you that black Friday sale is out now.You can get latest discount coupons here.Thank you.

Kizi Games
Nov 29, 2016 14:21

I’m glad you enjoyed it. Those are great habits! Thank you for sharing.

lucky
Jan 24, 2017 11:21

nice post thanks for sharing

Potty Racers
Feb 13, 2017 3:21

I would like more information about this, because it is very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Friv.com
Feb 20, 2017 2:13

Thank your visit to our website! Click to play:
Friv